State Parks & Forests: Charter Oak Pass (Life Use)

The Charter Oak Pass provides access to the State Parks and Forests and is available free to Connecticut residents 65 years of age or older. The pass is accepted at all day use areas where a parking fee applies. Presenting it allows free access for entering vehicle and passengers.

The pass holder does not have to be the vehicle driver. Free admittance is also provided for the Charter Oak pass holder when visiting Gillette Castle, Dinosaur or Fort Trumbull State Parks or fishing at the Quinebaug Valley Hatchery. All other visitors however, will be required to pay the appropriate fee. Please note that each pass is issued to a specific person and can only be used when presented by that individual. The passes are non-transferable. They are not valid for camping or special events having separate admission charges and may not be used for commercial purposes.

A Charter Oak Pass may be obtained in person at the following locations in Eastern CT (proof of age and residency required):

DEP Eastern District H.Q.
209 Hebron Road, Marlborough
Monday-Friday / 9:00 am-3:00 pm
(860) 295-9523

DEP Office of Boating
333 Ferry Road, Old Lyme
Monday- Friday / 9:00 am-3:00 pm
(860) 434-8638

Quinebaug Valley Hatchery
Cady Lane, Danielson
(860) 564-7542

Harkness Memorial State Park
275 Great Neck Road, Waterford
Monday-Friday / 9:00 am-3:00 pm
(860) 443-5725

Fort Griswold Battlefield State Park
Park Avenue, Groton
(Memorial Day through Labor Day)
Daily: 9:00 am-5:00 pm
(860) 445-1729

Fort Trumbull State Park
90 Walbach Street, New London
(Memorial Day through Columbus Day)
Monday-Friday / 9:00 am – 3:00 pm
(860) 444-7591

To obtain a Charter Oak Pass by mail:

Send a LEGIBLE photocopy or current CT driver’s license or other legal proof of age and residency to:

DEP Charter Oak Pass
State Parks Division
79 Elm Street
Hartford, CT 06106-5127
Phone: (860) 424-3200