The Assessor’s Office uses the recommended State Office of Policy and Management pricing procedure. The values are based on Average Retail Value from the National Automobile Dealers Association price guides.
If you feel your motor vehicle assessment is incorrect based on these guidelines, you may appeal your assessment to the Board of Assessment Appeals. Any October 1st assessment may be appealed in February. This would be on the current assessment for the bill which would become due in July. Call the Assessor’s office for more information. An application must be filed by February 20th to the Board of Assessment Appeals. The times and dates are also posted in the Town Clerk’s office. You may also appeal your motor vehicle assessment at the Board of Assessment Appeals September session. This September session is for the bills which you received in July.
Please note: In the event that you appeal your assessment but do not pay your taxes or make insufficient payment within the original payment period for the tax, you shall be subject to all interest and penalties in the same manner as any tax due as provided by the General Statutes of the State of Connecticut.
Motor vehicles are taxable in Connecticut, whether they are registered or not.
State law allows for a tax bill credit under four specific situations:
- If you sold the vehicle and turned in the plates to DMV. *If you sold the vehicle and transferred the plates to another vehicle, you will receive a credit for the number of months you did not have the vehicle in the next billing cycle and you must pay the bill for the vehicle you no longer have.
- If the vehicle was totalled and the title was transferred.
- If the vehicle was moved and registered out of state.
- If the vehicle was stolen and not recovered.
Documentation for a credit is required and application must be made within a specific time period:
- 10-1-16 Assessment and Supplemental lists the filing deadline is Dec. 31, 2018
- 10-1-17 Assessment and Supplemental lists the filing deadline is Dec. 31, 2019
- 10-1-18 Assessment and Supplemental lists the filing deadline is Dec. 31, 2020